Sunday, October 21, 2007

Whole Wheat Pitas

Sunday, October 21, 2007
After weighing myself on Friday morning, I decided it was time to get serious about losing a few pounds. In the last 48 hours before the Friday weigh-in, I'd eaten a creme brulee Danish (excellent), a doughnut (so-so), a bagel (mediocre), a piece of peach tart (quite good), and apple crisp with creme fraiche (delicious). After self-indulgence, time for a little self-control. Of all the diets I've tried, the Sonoma diet makes the most sense to me, mostly because it encourages drinking wine (only after the first ten days, though), and it allows carbs, if they're whole-grain, even in the first ten days.
I planned to make some whole-wheat pita sandwiches for lunch. I put whole-wheat pitas on my grocery list, feeling sorry for myself because I would have to eat the tasteless, cardboard-y store-bought pitas instead of my own. Through the self-pity came a brilliant thought--I could make whole-wheat pitas. I could just substitute whole wheat flour for white flour. And so I did. I just used Rose's recipe for pitas, with all whole wheat flour. Rose recommends using only half whole-wheat, but these turned out just fine with 100% WW.

I love rolling things out with my new rolling-pin stocking! Without thinking about it, I made a few that were perfectly round. Then I started trying, for perfection, and I just got funny-looking ones. Such is the Zen of baking.
I baked them a few at a time, directly on the oven stone. A few of them ballooned so completely that I was afraid they would explode in the oven.

They didn't. Here's a picture of my best one:

I made a sandwich with smoked turkey, olive hummus, and greens. Fortunately, it tasted so good that I didn't feel like I was dieting. A good thing, because if I feel deprived, I get extremely grumpy. Just ask Jim.
I may not be blogging for a while. Next week I'm going to Washington D.C. to see one of the very junior lawyers in our office, Ben Butler, arguing a case at the U.S. Supreme Court. Don't even bother to ask what the case is all about; it's about as boring a topic as you can imagine. If you don't believe me, let me just say that it's about the retroactivity standard set forth in Teague v. Lane, and whether it applies to state supreme courts or just to federal courts on habeas. Also, don't ask about our client. Hey, everyone's entitled to a lawyer, right?
And after that, I've signed up to write a 50,000-word novel in November. I don't know how much time I'll have to bake bread. I guess it will depend on whether I get writer's block. If anyone wants to join me in this foolish endeavor, check the details on nanowrimo.com.

8 comments:

Nabeela said...

Lovely pitas! And they puffed so well too!

evil cake lady said...

yes, your pitas look really lovely!

i will miss your blogging while you are away, but don't stop baking!

Anonymous said...

Homemade pittas have to taste better than store bought. Those look great.
So what is your novella going to be about? I hope it is a thriller mystery about bread turning criminal.
Don't stay away to long. You'll be missed.

Marie said...

Nabeela,
Yes, some of them puffed very dramatically, and others not as much. I have no idea what made the difference.

ECL,
It will be a bad sign about how the novel is going if I don't manage to bake for a month!

Melinda,
I don't exactly have a plot. But, as they say on the Nanowrimo web site, "No plot? No problem!" I plan to wait for inspiration to strike.

pinknest said...

oh they look so puffy and delicious! like puris.

Marie said...

Pinknest,
Puris! Another bread I must try--is there no end?

Chubbypanda said...

Exploding pitas would make a great Youtube video. =)

Marie said...

Chubbypanda,
You have inspired me. I really want to see exploding pitas. Not necessarily in my own oven.