Sunday, May 07, 2006

Big Banana Muffins


Sunday, May 7, 2006
Wow--it is so fast and easy to make quick breads! I decided it was time for another non-yeast bread, because I hadn't checked anything off from that section of the book for quite a while, but I'd forgotten how quickly you can whip up a batter that doesn't have to rest and rise. (Perhaps that's why they call them quick breads, O Master of the Obvious.)
If you're thinking that these muffins aren't very big, you're right. The recipe says to bake them in a Texas-size pan, but I only had about a Nebraska-sized one. Anyway, I have an unreasonable bias against anything Texan, although, given our current administration, perhaps the bias isn't unreasonable. Although if the muffin pans were named after Texans Molly Ivins or Jim Hightower, I'd probably run out and buy one or two.
Back to the matter at hand--although these muffins were not big in size, they were big in taste. Their texture is quite delicate, but the lone banana packs quite a flavor punch, assisted by the toasted walnuts. (The recipe doesn't say how long to toast them, but I toasted mine the amount of time it took me to forget they were in the oven, which happened to be, fortunately, about 30 seconds before they started to burn).
If I'd made more, I could have given some away. I suppose I could have given some away anyhow, but then I wouldn't have very many left to eat myself.

No comments: