Sunday, February 18, 2007

Early Appliances

Saturday, February 17, 2007
We bought our appliances at Warners-Stellian, and were very happy with their service and selection. After we ordered them (and paid a big down payment), Michael and Adam said they'd coordinate with them for a delivery date. Suddenly, Warners-Stellian got impatient, however, and told us that we'd have to take delivery before January 31 or there would be an extra charge. Adam said he'd tried to negotiate a later delivery date--the date we wanted them--but it was no go. We didn't learn about this until the first week in February.
Jim called the woman we bought the appliances from, and she said we wouldn't have to pay the extra few hundred dollars if we took delivery right away. Then she said we'd have to wait until they got them in stock. One might think that if they didn't have them in stock, it might not be vitally important to take delivery of them immediately, but then we probably don't understand the finer points of appliance buying.
The very nice delivery people set an oven, a stovetop, and a microwave on our living room floor, and seemed surprised that we wanted them before we had a kitchen. We were surprised too.

5 comments:

Zora said...

Just want to let you know that someone is reading your blog with avid interest. This is better than a reality show on TV!

Anonymous said...

AT least they were helpful and confusing. I want to see inside the box Marie...the Wolf one.
By the way, I still am reading but am missing the baking.

Marie said...

Karen,
Thanks. I hope I don't get kicked off the island.

Melinda,
I'm missing the baking more than you are! I don't know if I can make it another six weeks.

Anonymous said...

Karen, I'd thought the same thing a few weeks ago....that this blog was like a reality show. I'm so happy you said it. It's way more real and interesting than the home renovation shows!

Marie, You sound remarkably laid back re Warners-Stellian. I am in awe of people like you. I would have been upset. You're attitude is way more healthy. And, you may be right that there's some element to the story that you don't understand. (Though, I think the store should have made it understable.)

One could say that it's a little like having presents under the Christmas tree... for 30 days. It would be fun to put a bow or two on top... maybe even a gift tag! But, actually, your new pot is better than a bow!

I think I'd be running my hand over the boxes each time I passed, in anticipatory glee.

Marissa

Marie said...

Marissa,
I was kind of mad, but writing about it was quite therapeutic.
I like the idea of putting bows on top of the packages--they could be Valentine's Day presents and St. Patrick's Day presents and maybe Easter presents, depending on when Easter is this year. I would hope that they won't be birthday presents for me (late May).