Sunday, April 01, 2007

Thai Steak and Bok Choy Salad


Sunday, April 1, 2007
At last--another food posting. Now that the weather is nicer, the Weber grill is always available to make a quick dinner--even without a kitchen. I have an oral argument before the Minnesota Supreme Court Monday morning, and I've been working away at that all weekend, but I wanted real food today. Hence, this speedy salad.

Thai Steak and Bok Choy Salad
--adapted from Weeknight Kitchen
with Lynn Rossetto Kasper

1 pound sirloin steak
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Juice from 1 lime
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 t. Dijon mustard
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 1/2 T. soy sauce
5 ounces mixed greens
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
4 heads baby bok choy, thin sliced

Make the dressing. Whisk together lime juice, garlic, shallot, mustard, soy sauce, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until smooth.

Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill over hot coals until medium rare (2-4 minutes per side).

Mix the greens, bok choy, and mint, and toss with half to three-fourths of the dressing. Place in bowl or on platter. Slice the steak on the diagonal and arrange over the top of the greens. Pour remaining dressing over the steak and serve.

Serves 3-4.

5 comments:

jini said...

the salad looks fabulous. how come you were able to cook outside and i was whining about the rainy day?? perhaps i need an attitude adjustment?
the sage greens and cream paints are lovely in the kitchen. the tile is interesting too.....is it ceramic or stone? it all looks beautiful together....you are gonna love it!
ever closer to usability!!

Anonymous said...

mmmmm.Looks good. Does one wish you 'good luck' for an oral argument with the Minnesota Supreme Court?

kris said...

Hi Marie - my name is Kris, and I'm a new blogger from the Twin Cities. I first looked at yours after the No Knead bread article in the Strib. I loved all your beautiful bread photos and comments. And now I've been enjoying the kitchen re-do. So thought maybe I should stop being a blog voyeur and introduce myself!! The kitchen looks great, and I was so inspired by your bread posts that I just ordered Rose Levy Berenbaum's Bread Bible. I'm also enjoying the other food posts. Thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

Jini,
Believe me, it was raining here, too, but I'd already decided on the grilled steak and I wasn't going to be deterred by a little rain.
The tile is slate, I think.

Melinda,
"Good luck" is very appropriate. The argument went fine. I was actually on the side of truth and justice.

Kris,
It's so nice to hear from people who read my blog. I hope you love baking all the breads--in some ways, I wish I still had that project in front of me; it was so much fun to work my way through the entire book, and I ate some amazingly good bread along the way.

Anonymous said...

I knew that.