Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sourdough starter - Day 1

Friday, April 27, 2007
I purchased some sourdough starter from Sourdo, which worked very well, although Rose did tell me that at some point in my bread-baking career, I'd want to make my own. I thought she might be wrong because I never experienced any need to do that, but then two things happened at about the same time: my purchased sourdough starter didn't make it through the kitchen remodel (it was in my makeshift kitchen on the front porch, but we happened to be out of town for a few days when the weather turned unseasonably hot, and the food in the temporary kitchen was in bad shape when we came home, so I dumped it all), and I also went to Lorenzo's Bread Circus. There, I heard breadbaker Kim Ode talk lovingly about her own sourdough starter that she'd made using Nancy Silverton's method, as well as listening to Klecko the Baker, founding father of the St. Paul Bread Club, talk affectionately about his "brick" sourdough starter. I decided that Rose was right: it was time to make my own.

The first step is pretty easy--mix a cup of organic rye flour (120 grams) and 1/2 cup of bottled water (also 120 grams). Stir for a few minutes. Cover it with plastic wrap and let sit for two days. So far, so good.

No comments: