Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cranberry-Orange Scones

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Week 3 of our annual January morning coffee hours brought scones--my own personal favorite breakfast treat. I was quite anxious the first time I made scones, which was just a few years ago. They seemed so foreign. Not exotic foreign, just not something I grew up with and not in my repertoire. And also because scones can be very good, but they can also be quite bad. I didn't know how to tell whether mine would turn out to be one of the good ones.
This recipe is from America's Test Kitchen Cookbook via Smitten Kitchen
Even before they were baked, I could see they were going to be good because the dough was crumbly and buttery, with the butter worked in well throughout. I guess the only real secrets to scones are not to be stingy with the butter and cream and not to work the dough too much. I'm sure that there are people who can successfully work the butter into the flour with their fingers, but I'm not one of them. It's the food processor for me, baby!
The original recipe calls for currants, but SmittenKitchen changed that to dried cranberries, chopped up a bit, and I used cranberries too. I added the grated rind of one large orange because orange is such a natural partner of cranberries. I also sprinkled some Demerara sugar on top.

The nicest compliment came from Lela, our neighbor across the street. She took a bite and said, "Oh, I didn't know I liked scones, but I guess I do. I've had them at Starbucks, and I just thought they were dry and tasteless. But these are good." Once you've had real scones, you can never go back.

9 comments:

evil cake lady said...

your scones look tender and buttery, even from here! its blog posts like these that make regret the long distance between oregon and minnesota.

Marie said...

I know! It sometimes amazes me that we can't just get together. I feel like I should be able to call you and invite you over for a scone, which I know you would never mistake for a Starbucks scone.

doughadear said...

Marie,
This is the third year that I have read about your January get- together and each year I wish I were your neighbour.
Your scones look great. You know you have winner scones here because of how beautifully they have risen.
Oriana

Anonymous said...

Lovely scones! Isn't it great when they turn out right! I must admit I have had failures but when I make good ones I want to do some more right away!
Jeannette

Marie said...

Oriana,
Well, I wish you were my neighbor too. Of course, you are always invited, but it would be a long Saturday morning trek. The recipe calls for a full tablespoon of baking powder, which seemed like too much, but I'm glad I used it all.

Jeannette,
It is great when they turn out right! Did your mother make scones?

Anonymous said...

No,No,No! My mother didn't do any baking or to be fair , if she did it was an occasion to be remembered! She was a good plain cook and she showed me how to make a tasty gravy to go with a roast but she definitely didn't teach me to cook! Bless her!
Jeannette.

Marie said...

Jeannette,
And here I was imagining you with your mother baking up a tray of scones once a week--too bad that reality has to intrude on fantasy.

Anonymous said...

All the scones you have made look very tasty. The cranberry and orange sounds delicious with a cup of tea or coffee.
I would like to be your neighbor too.
I'm not a consistent gardener. You would secretly talk about my messy garden behind my back and how I bring the neighborhood down.

Marie said...

Melinda,
As an inconsistent gardener, you'd fit right in the neighborhood. Every spring I make the same vow that I will keep the weeds in check this year! I will work in the garden every day without fail! Every August I give up.