Thursday, March 23, 2006

Southwestern Corn Spoon Bread



Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I was very excited to make my first bread using my brand new MyWeigh scale. At last I could have precision measurement! (Have I ever used the word "obsessive" in connection with this project?). I looked through the box for the directions, and finally found a piece of paper about the size of a business card. Directions: "Turn power on. Weigh." This is akin to The Bread Bible having a recipe that would say: "Mix ingredients. Knead. Let rise. Bake." I need more direction than that. So I'm not totally sure that I got precision measurements, especially since I'm not so sure I got the "Tare" function right. Next time, I'll measure first and then weigh. The scale will be my second opinion.
Even without total precision, the bread was great. Really, how could it go wrong--it's got butter, garlic, onion, roasted red pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, cheese, and corn, in addition to cream, cornmeal, flour, and eggs. It's baked in a souffle pan, and looks puffy and golden and delicious--good enough that it caused me to violate my "no seconds" rule. I also fed some to Sarah, who is a more effusively appreciative audience than Jim is, and I was able to send the rest of it home with her. Let her worry about the excess ten pounds!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Hello, Josh,
I'm using the KD-7000, which I used again today and found it much easier. But your manual isn't designed for someone using a scale for baking for the first time--someone, for example, who didn't have a clue about what "tare" meant. Also, for example, it would be helpful to explain the four modes, although it may seem self-evident. I still am not sure what the "Weight response speed and auto turn off" paragraph means. But then I like a lot of detail in my instructions.