Sunday, February 05, 2006

Caramel sticky buns

January 20-21, 2006

I've read this recipe a few times, and it's clear that it's going to take a lot of time, but I think I can get the rolls on the table by 10:00 a.m. Saturday if I start as soon as I get home from work on Friday. First I make the brioche dough, steps 1 through 6. Make sponge, let it stand for 2 hours, mix, let rise 2 hours, chill 1 hour, deflate dough, let rest. These various 1-hour, 2-hour, 2-hour steps mean that I don't get to bed until about midnight.

But the dough is soft, rich, and buttery, and fun to work with. I'm happy. And I've had a few glasses of wine while waiting around for the brioche dough to do its thing. So I'm even happier.

Next morning: must get up at 6:30 in order to do the rest of the steps: make the raisin-pecan filling, make the caramel topping, make the glaze, fill the dough, cut it, let it rise. Whew. All this before my first cup of coffee. This is less fun than it was the night before with the wine.

But what a great smell that's wafting through the air to greet the first neighbors who come for coffee. The sticky buns are fabulous, and I eat three of them myself. This is not exactly helpful to my other resolution, which is to lose 10 pounds. I might have cooked the caramel a little too long. Maybe I'll try them again after I retire and have lots of free time. And after I lose the 10 pounds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've made these stick buns to take as dessert on Thanksgiving and they were a very big hit. I wish I had one right now!

Marie said...

Me too!